If the details of a place are not up to date anymore you can edit them directly in the OpenStreetMap. For example, if a shop is permanently closed you can delete the name, category and wheelchair tag – but not the rest of the information such as street and house number. This way the basic data set of the place stays in OpenStreetMap and if a new shop opens in that building one can just add the new details like name etc.
Guidelines “edit/ delete places on OpenStreetMap”
- Go to http://www.openstreetmap.org/
- Log in with your OpenStreetMap account (the same account you use to log in on Wheelmap.org).
- Attention: Choose the option “Edit with ID (in-browser editor)” of the function “Edit”.
If you want to edit a shop, a bar, a bus stop etc.:
- Click on a “node” (white drop) – the “node” marks a place (a shop, a bar, a bus stop etc.)
- The column opening up on the left shows you the data of the node that you can edit.
- Each information is stored in the form of a tag (e.g. street, category and so on).
- Clicking on “all tags” you can access all information belonging to the node/ the place.
- Now you can delete particular “tags” by clicking on the small garbage bin icon.
- If, for example, a restaurant has been permanently closed, you delete the tag “name” and all tags concerning the restaurant.
- Attention: Never delete the tag “address”! These information are still important in the OpenStreetMap!
- After adding/ deleting/ changing tags click on “save changes” (top right of the map).
- You can add a comment for the OpenStreetMap community to indicate what you have changed (e.g. restaurant permanently closed).
If you want to edit information belonging to a building:
- Click on the red outline of the building (called “ways”).
- Follow the steps 6-12.
- Attention: Never delete the whole building from the OpenStreetMap if you are not a hundred percent sure whether the building has been completely teared down!
If you feel like this process is too complicated you can also send us an e-mail with the details of the place that need to be deleted.
Posted in: Edit places